Re: [platform-ui-dev] Stacked Views/CTabFolder mockup (nt)

Sorry for the confusing blue gradient.  I purposefully showed 2
Active/focused Views, something that would never really happen but seved
only to demonstrate what focus might look like.

The problem being addressed is:
1) Inactive tabs are indistinguishable from active.
2) Tabs don't look like tabs.
3) In the case where the tabs are at the top, removing the duplicate label
for the active View (i.e. Packages would appear twice, causing the toolbar
to wrap and use an additional line).  Perhaps even in the tabs-at-bottom
orientation the duplicate label could be removed, but I think that case is
not as strong.

Inactive tabs are dim on purpose (problem #1).  You don't need to easily
read them, presumably the user knows which Views are open, and the Icon
along with black text on rollover (or accessibility traversal) would be
sufficient and even desirable.

There is a gray gradient only in the area where there are no tab labels.
All inactive tabs are a solid light gray (Actually, System Control Color
"lighter").  The gradient is not necessary, but allows the right edge to
gradually return to the normal L&F gray.

Without stacking, the current appearance is perfect.

-Randy

|---------+--------------------------------->
|         |           Simon_Arsenault@xxxxxx|
|         |           m                     |
|         |           Sent by:              |
|         |           platform-ui-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org           |
|         |                                 |
|         |                                 |
|         |           02/12/2002 11:39 AM   |
|         |           Please respond to     |
|         |           platform-ui-dev       |
|         |                                 |
|---------+--------------------------------->
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                                     |
  |       To:       platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                                         |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                           |
  |       Subject:  Re: [platform-ui-dev] Stacked Views/CTabFolder mockup (nt)                                                          |
  |                                                                                                                                     |
  |                                                                                                                                     |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

What was the purpose of the new tab style? What problems were you trying to
address?

Looking at the image you sent, I have a hard time figuring out which view
is active (packages or console) since both have the blue gradient. Was this
an oversight?

I find the coloring of the active view's tab (which seems to the the
packages one) too non-noticable compared to the blue gradient.

I also find the color for the inactive tabs (like the navigator one) too
"dim" - light background with light text ==> very hard to read. It almost
seems the background is some gray gradient...is that so or is this just
poor image capture quality). I find using the gray gradient in this case
overloads it use.

How would the package view be displayed if the navigator view is closed?
Does it keep the tab?

How come the console view has a label in the blue gradient but the package
view does not?

Aside from the coloring issues, it is an interesting idea - that is, views
and editors sort of look the same (Tab with icon, label, and close icon ...
I would add the close icon to be consistent). Views would then have a tool
bar under the tab.

Simon :-)

                      "Randy Hudson"

                      <hudsonr@xxxxxxxxxx>           To:
platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                       cc:

                      platform-ui-dev-admin@         Subject:
[platform-ui-dev] Stacked Views/CTabFolder mockup (nt)
                      eclipse.org

                      02/12/2002 10:10 AM

                      Please respond to

                      platform-ui-dev