Re: [platform-ui-dev] RFC: Cut, Copy, Paste Proposal (end date = 12/03)

See my [SA: comment] below. I deleted the other items which I did not want
to comment on...

Simon :-)

                    "Karice
                    McIntyre/OTT/OTI"              To:     platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    <Karice_McIntyre@xxxxxx        cc:
                    m>                             Subject:     Re: [platform-ui-dev] RFC: Cut, Copy, Paste
                    Sent by:                       Proposal (end date = 12/03)
                    platform-ui-dev-admin@e
                    clipse.org

                    11/28/2001 05:28 PM
                    Please respond to
                    platform-ui-dev

See <<KLM>> for my answers, comments, and questions to you.

                    "Nick Edgar/OTT/OTI"

                    <Nick_Edgar@xxxxxxx>           To:
platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    Sent by:                       cc:

                    platform-ui-dev-admin@e        Subject:     Re:
[platform-ui-dev] RFC: Cut, Copy, Paste Proposal (end
                    clipse.org                     date = 12/03)

                    11/28/2001 04:09 PM

                    Please respond to

                    platform-ui-dev

- If copy (or cut) works differently for projects than for other items
(e.g. pops up a dialog for projects, but not other items), then we should
not use the same action.  It would be preferable to disable copy and have
a separate Copy Project item on the context menu.

<<KLM>>
Actually, I have a solution now that will enable Copy and Paste for
projects and does not require the silly dialog.  Cut will simply not be
added to the context menu (or disabled in the Edit menu) when a project is
selected.

[SA: We should allow cut support for projects between two workspaces since
we control both the source and destination. Support for Cut/Copy project
between workspace and desktop is a "nice-to-have" feature.]

- I concur with Simon that we should support copying resources between
separate workspaces.  This means that the ResourceTransfer must encode not
only the resource's path but also its location, and possibly an ID for the
workspace (e.g. if I cut a /A/B in workspace 1 and paste it to /C/B in
workspace 2, I want to delete /A/B from workspace 1, not workspace 2 if it
also has /A/B; this may just work out if it's the cut handler which does
the deletion though).

<<KLM>>
There's a larger issue with Cut between workspaces and between a workspace
and another app right now anyway.  Apparently Windows has API that can tell
us (via SWT, if they implement it) whether the action was a Cut or a Copy
when a Paste is done.  Likewise if we put the contents on the clipboard, we
would have to tell them whether it was a Cut or Copy.  Then, after the
paste happens, we get or send a callback to the OS (depending on whether or
not we are the destination or the source of the Cut or Copy) so that the
original can be deleted if it was a Cut.  To complicate matters, other
platforms don;t seem to have this added support.  If you look at Linux
(Gnome) there is no Cut, just Copy, Paste, and Delete to do all the same
work.  If this support in Windows is added then i think your concern about
possibly whacking a path with the same name in the second workspace will
inherently be taken care of.  Anyway, right now we can copy files/folders
between workspaces (and projects will only come over as folders, as
mentioned before).  If you Cut between workspaces right now it's as if a
Copy was done.

[SA: What do you mean by "projects will only come over as folders"? If we
can't cut/copy a project to another workspace as a project, what's the use
of it?]

Back to the top