Re: [platform-swt-dev] the SWT Table control

Hi Erik,

Some things to consider.

1) TableWidget.java @ http://opendoors.com/conga/2.2/docs/javadoc/marimba/gui/TableWidget.html
2) SparseTableWidget @ http://opendoors.com/conga/2.2/docs/javadoc/marimba/gui/SparseTableWidget.html
and, some of my own implementations. DBTableWidget, DBEditorWidget et al some of which I have documented at http://conga.opendoors.com

I do not think an engineer of your talent needs to spend much time with layout and drawing issues. For example, what you see below, I did as PBS transitioned from the News Hour to Antartica. In other words, the heavy lifting was done a couple of years ago and you have the keys to the fork lift.

Kindest,

Lane

Erik Poupaert wrote:
Have you tried looking at other GUI Builders?

I'm not really interested in GUI Builders. I do it all in code. I've got my
own generator, that uses SableCc to parse a guimodel file (no XML, mind
you!) and generates Java classes; and I've done some ugly things to SWT to
compile it natively with minGW/GCJ on win32, and integrate the JNI-dll into
the resulting executable (no dlls please).

So I'm a bit deep into SWT to start all over again with another framework.
I've recently looked at lwvcl though. Unfortunately, deep inside, it sits on
the native part of AWT. And in minGW/libjava, the Gtk AWT peers have not
been implemented. So, it  would only work on Linux. Bye bye crossplatform
deployments ...

It's true, however, that most frameworks don't have a decent spreadsheet
control. Even VS.NET's datagrid looks like shit. lwvcl has one though. The
demo looks really nifty. It's way smaller than SWT, and looks very good.

What we used to do in the past, was to get some third-party components, but
that brings other problems. They look good, but they're full of bugs too.
And these third parties don't want to fix them (Janus, Farpoint, ...). Don't
want to get back to that either...

Writing a nifty spreadsheet component is such a large amount of work,
though. I don't feel like doing it all by myself, either mucking around with
the Table control, or else start all the way from the Canvas. F*ck.