[platform-dev] Performance concerns with several document plug-ins

I'm looking at scenario where I'll be deploying Eclipse running in
Information Center mode.  The Info Center may be running a combination of
600 to 200,000 plug-ins and fragments, depending on what customers
install.  Understandably, I'm concerned that this may affect performance.
Does anyone have any idea how many plug-ins Eclipse can reasonably handle
before performance starts suffering?  Would the effects be limited to
start-up time, as several hundred plugin.xml and fragment. xml files are
parsed, or would performance over the entire run of the application be
affected?  Is there anything that could be done to improve performance in
this case, like increasing the JVM heap size?

Regards

Back to the top