[platform-dev] 2.1.1 - 3.0M3 concerns

I'm an Eclipse user, and am feeling compelled to post here because my
Eclipse experience has gone seriously downhill since 2.1.0.  I have
filed a variety of bug reports (41060,42415,43950) over the last several
months, but I'm afraid they must not have been helpful.  I want to bring
the issues to a wider audience in hopes someone will take it seriously.

I work in Linux exclusively, install Eclipse into /usr/local, run with
-data set to a directory in my $HOME.

At the moment, I have to restart Eclipse several times per day, and
re-install Eclipse once a day or every other day as various functions
fall apart.  By re-install I mean delete my -data directory, restart
Eclipse, and reset all my preferences.  CVS functions don't work
reliably enough for me to use since 2.1.1.  I tried the 'new' CVS stuff
in 3.0M2 but it was broken at the making-windows level.

See the bug reports for details, but symptoms include (all in Java
perspective, 3.0M3):

 - 'busy' icon showing on Package Explorer, tasks/problems, and toolbar,
    won't shutdown, have to kill from command line, usually happens at
    beginning of day, usually works on next start-up
 - package explorer will not scroll, sometimes won't shutdown, requires
   re-install
 - cut and paste, undo functions stop working, usually won't shut down,
   requires re-install
 - CVS checkin (in 'old' synchronization screen) appears to work but in
   fact often does nothing (upon checking from the command line)
 - the 'completing install' popup is present for every run, never see
   the big Eclipse popup.  Apparently fixed by installing all of eclipse
   in $HOME, but...
 - when installing Eclipse in $HOME, cannot open any pre-existing
   project after a re-install so not a usable option
 - no CVS labels appear at all, haven't been able to find how to
   request them in 3.0 (have I just missed it?)

Am I really the only person seeing this stuff?  Or are these
Linux-specific, and the number of Linux users is so small that the
priority for Linux-specific problems is down in the weeds?

I'm willing to invest some time in helping find, even fix problems, but
not from a cold start; it's not like some Apache Commons code I can
figure out in an hour!

Regards,

        Gary Shea
        GTS Design Consulting