Re: [pdt-dev] Pushing project forward
  • From: thierry blind <thierryblind@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 17:35:24 +0000
  • Accept-language: fr-FR, en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=none; dmarc=none; dkim=none; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=K9H4TTnmN9mcKalQDbfTHurqcYNWGbAO8SjPFps+qiM=; b=eTuoJvCRN0l0KvlZcrGmNve7EAVVCEY4FwGolJEODWBvikS0TRtjy2xZrqpArjWmd/dfmBFTPaoHP+35yIF5pr5c7O/dat3OycHTOYjmKulsn1deNlXaM17jPPFG8/FIYu5P73eHzfbL9RrsjqovUqysXvToFatW3UyG5s2QLHKV0C066lV4SA4WSRavHdRTF5Z2aK6J6OF/v5CbGhGXpEH6B7HPqzBC7XfacWbDkpxQ0PU1yN5Pe3P8Iy/NRdAC9BjVaZ2WGoOkkIOR4U1qTCGszxOokiieQ8k41zVHEV+vDIgWie6CaRUCmug/dmdn8mCbYxcCZRy02yLF4+OlDw==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=ZDr9g7QuDQsDw8fdm40ENfHzELSgS4EZszMTLDxZY0uYYJ4rsLXIgWTcJEYD+hRJsIUHuDvy2sKJSBUQE0zZw0LGmJn5XRUcDDuQgBrJqoTrLZyUFVdb4NFokw0/iUgxwaua9HO08Ys8700akOZ+6yNzb8FmXCo5Xn74REUEjBp6rfJOVrRvRGE9FHN3vcWKL+ol4Ulev5KqwSh7CP58Gom5/Oy2GHxdAvWffEcm4cp3cGbkCaLNqvKS+NLnh2IfkiEEO3ochZahYE/+CJMUACMyr388pt74a3SBlbWXQS0pEV2aF4qgdjGPwWNXDizKuJ+Jsp+nP5m1th3CainLkA==

Hi everybody,
thank you Michele and Basil Mohamed Gohar, your point of view are very accurate to me.

My first concern is, probably like many open-source developers, that the projects I contribute are perene.
I've seen too many (little and big) projects dying, by lack of interest of the community or by the main developers themselves.
Well yes, sometimes it's for more basic reasons, developers also need to eat and earn money, and their job can take all their time and energy.
Also with time, developers change their occupations to try new challenges.
If I look at eclipse itself now, I find it myself less "sexy" than other newer technologies, based on nodejs for example (I was thinking at Visual Studio Code).

But PDT is a great product and has still a lot of potential.
PDT is daily used by myself, by my developer colleagues and by other people I know and they are happy with it.
Like Dawid said, PDT code changed a lot the 5 last years, and in the right direction.
It's much more stable now that when I started to contribute to PDT, a lot of work was done by a little team, and Dawid contributed A LOT, because he has a good global view/skill of the eclipse plateform.

PDT has a lot of feature and I think it's really worth (at least for me) to put some of my free time to make it even better.
But the more I do, the more I see that 2 active developers are far from being enough for such a big project, for many logical reasons I won't enumerate here (one being lack of free time).
If we migrate to github, to have more visibility, we will maybe be overwhelmed by feature or evolution requests, and maybe also by bug reports that are already on bugzilla.
So migrating to github? Yes for sure. But without new developers, I feel it will be a pain with our actual capacities and it will add an additional workload.
And that's my real concern about PDT. We have to stay realistic about our real capacities and reactivity to answer user requests, or we will generate more frustration and delays. In the 500 opened bugs, there are a lot of enhancement requests, and many are justified.

For the 4 technical points, I'm agree by removing old stuff and adopt more adequate technologies, even if we need to rewrite the PHP model and other things.
We have a lot of code that needs to (or could) be revised to be more efficient, but with the proposed changes, it's like developing a new product from the scratch. I feel that many PDT code parts have reached their technical "limit".

So, what is the best solution? Rewrite big parts one after the other, probably breaking a lot of things and delaying new PDT releases?
Or puting actual PDT in maintenance mode and rewriting in parallel a whole new PDT product?
Keep in mind that we are only 2 developers yet and that Dawid has a lot more PDT/eclipse technical background then me 😉

Thierry.