I am the creator and current maintainer of the embedded C project, but my focus in recent years has been the main C client. I will start looking at the embedded C project again with the goal of getting you

You might have seen on the mailing list that a contributor to RIOT OS, Oleg Hahm, has also expressed an interest in maintaining the project. Hopefully, we'll all be able to work together to support the project better.

Ian Craggs

On 04/04/2023 19:52, Cristian Pop via paho-dev wrote:
Thank you Frédéric!

Sounds like the process is fairly simple! I'll go through the ECA process (and that might take some time).  After that, I will start by sending a few PRs towards the mqttv5 branch with code changes I've already made.

I will set up a meeting to discuss in more details.

Thank you,
Chris

From: Frédéric Desbiens <frederic.desbiens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 3, 2023 6:11 AM
To: General development discussions for paho project <paho-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Cristian Pop <Cristian.Pop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Eric Wolz <Eric.Wolz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [paho-dev] paho.mqtt.embedded-c: releasing MQTTv5

Hi Chris.

Thank you for reaching out! I manage IoT and Edge Computing programs at the Eclipse Foundation. Nice to meet you!

I cannot comment on the technical points you raise as I am unfamiliar with the code base. I will ensure Ian Craggs, the Eclipse Paho project lead, sees your message.

From a process perspective, all you need to do is to sign the electronic Eclipse Contributor Agreement (ECA). Please make sure the email address used for your Eclipse Foundation account is the same one that you intend to use on Git commit records. Since Microsoft is already a member of the Eclipse Foundation, you are already covered for the rest of the paperwork.

Once you have signed the ECA, you will be able to submit pull requests.

At the Eclipse Foundation, the maintainers of a specific code base are called "committers". Getting committer status requires an election. To become eligible, you first need to build a history of contributions to the project. Given the plans you describe in your email, you should be able to build such a history fairly quickly. The Eclipse project handbook describes in detail the rationale and process for committer elections

I would love to meet you and your colleagues to understand how we could work together. Microsoft is a member of our IoT working group but is not usually very visible. I would love to change that. Please email me directly if you need anything or wish to meet.

Best Regards,

Frédéric DESBIENS

Program Manager and Evangelist — IoT and Edge Computing | Eclipse Foundation

Twitter: @BlueberryCoder