[paho-dev] Paho Java client on vert.x

Just to say that I've been playing around with re-implementing the core of the Java client on Vert.x, keeping the external API the same.  I have some of the very basic tests working.  I'm thinking about putting the project into a Paho incubator repo.

The motivation?  Every time I've had to work on the Java client, I've found the threading model and class interactions to be over complicated and prone to implementation error.  There are several threads started for every client object created, more than should be needed.  In looking at the issues that I would like to fix for the 1.3 release:

https://github.com/eclipse/paho.mqtt.java/milestone/2

some of which are threading issues, I thought it might be easier to rewrite.   Or at least easier to maintain in the long run, while improving performance and hopefully reliability.

Now, I've done the first bit of Vert.x implementation, I probably ought to finish off the existing 1.3 release first.  Part of me is wondering just how long it would take to complete the Vert.x port though :-)

If anyone is interested in collaborating, let me know.

--
Ian Craggs
Eclipse Paho Project Lead & Mosquitto Committer

Back to the top