Re: [paho-dev] MQTT Server Setup for Testing of MQTT clients

Hi Ian,

For the mosquitto tests I run a per test instance of the broker for
exactly the reasons you say - many of the tests require special
configuration. Likewise, I think that running the broker on the build
machine is a sensible option because it is not affected by
connectivity problems or by whatever else is happening on the server.

For both the broker and the client, I don't use the opposite
client/broker at all, instead generating and examining received
packets within the test itself. I find it much easier to verify what
the test is doing when a client test doesn't depend on the broker and
vice versa. I suppose for completeness I should be testing them both
together as well as these isolated tests.

You can view my client tests already because they are part of the Paho
Python repository - see the test/lib directory. I would already have
them running on eclipse hudson, but I need to request some more recent
versions of Python be installed on the build machines.

Cheers,

Roger