Re: [paho-dev] Software Contributions to the Paho Project

Sorry... I should have read through the full email chain before I responded.

The "Handling Git Contributions" link is intended to provide specific help for contributions coming from a public (non-Eclipse) Git repository (e.g. GitHub). I don't believe that this is the case here.

The link that Ian sent probably is pretty accurate. The first and perhaps most important part is to make yourself known: discuss your contribution on the project mailing list; make your contribution available through some public channel. Since I assume that the contribution is currently not available in a public forum, attaching it to a Bugzilla record is probably the right way to go.

The process can be summarized as such:

1. Get the project to want your contribution (use transparent forums to discuss the contribution).
2. Make the contribution available for open community and committer review.
3. An existing project committer will complete a "contribution questionnaire" and send the contribution off to the IP team for their review. This may take a while depending on the size and provenance of the contribution.
4. When the IP team approves the contribution, the committers will push it into the public repo.

In parallel with #3, the project committers will nominate the contribution's developers to become committers on the project. By the time step #4 rolls around, your developers should be part of that group of committers.

As part of the IP check, you will have to assert the code owner's (generally the employer) permission to contribute the code to open source and answer some provenance questions.

If you have any questions, let us know.

HTH,

Wayne