[paho-dev] Bug triage

On the past couple of calls Marco reminded me that we should review the open issues on the project.

We currently have 29 bugs that are not closed/resolved. The longest-standing issues date to July 2012.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?v4=paho&o5=substring&f1=OP&o7=matches&v6=paho&o3=substring&list_id=4544393&cmdtype=doit&f8=CP&f0=OP&v3=paho&classification=Technology&remtype=asdefault&o6=substring&o2=substring&f9=CP&v7=%22paho%22&f4=alias&v5=paho&query_format=advanced&j1=OR&f3=component&o4=substring&f2=product&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&f5=short_desc&f6=status_whiteboard&component=MQTT&component=Samples&component=Sandbox&v2=paho&f7=content&product=Paho

Around half of these are assigned to Dave as Java client related. We assume that the majority of those will be closed when the new Java client code is committed to Git (which was supposed to be last wek) and that those issues will be updated accordingly.

Another ~25% are C client related. I attached an OS X client build rule to the relevant bug today and added some information about API documentation and other requirements. These should not be difficult to close up.

The rest are potential sample and website issues which have my name against them. I'll set to work on those soon, but at least the java sample / client issues do depend on solid Java client code landing in public Git asap.

We simply cannot progress to things like mavenisation of the Java client, updating the Eclipse client view or building on Eclipse infrastructure until these issues are addressed.

These issues severely impact the project's ability to deliver for Kepler and we are likely to have to start thinking about Luna or another future release if these remain unresolved.

I have had potential contributors tell me personally and directly that they have code that they would like to donate to Paho, but are hesitant to do so based on apparent lack of progress with existing issues. This is damaging. We need to progress these things urgently, and at the very least ahead of Eclipsecon in the next month.

Andy

--
Andy Piper | Farnborough, Hampshire (UK)
blog: http://andypiper.co.uk   |   skype: andypiperuk

Back to the top