[p2-dev] p2.inf in p2 repository (was Re: Incorrect coded p2.inf)

Changing subject so that I stop stomping all over Samuel's problem, sorry about that Samuel!

I hope no one is bothered by me carrying on, it's just been a bit tough understanding this whole process.  So, let me start by saying I have *something* that works.  We can install it and upgrade it using p2 repositories.  At build time, I believe we create a p2 repository as output of our build process.  This p2 repository contains our pre-packaged features and has p2.inf in the features.

At user install time, we unzip our p2 repository, gather some input from the user, bundle up some prerequisite jars that we aren't allowed to redistribute with our product, use the "FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher" to publish those into our target runtime and then we invoke the p2 director application to install our pre-packaged features into our target runtime.

It is my understanding that the last step ("we invoke the p2 director application to install our pre-packaged features") would require p2.inf present so that the target runtime is properly configured with the correct start levels, among other things.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to take issue with anything that has been said, I'm merely trying to understand what's going on.  Like I said, I kind of fiddled with things until I got them to work, but the deeper understanding with *why* it works and *how* it works still escape me.  So I'm merely trying to get that deeper understanding.

I appreciate any help and patience!

Cheers,
Craig