Re: [p2-dev] 3.8 / Juno wishlist

[...] if you want to add items you are willing to work on contact us here too.

Hi Pascal,

I have two items:

First, I think that what would make rpm work well with the director is to have the director install units without moving the artifacts.

I.e. the rpm would put the artifacts in features/ and plugins/ and then tell the p2director to install and it would only update the metadata files. Right now that does not work because the director will not accept this ugly set up as a repository :). I also suspect that it would touch the files placed by rpm in features/ and plugins/ but I am just guessing here.

Now the reconciler does exactly that :) without the requirement of specifying the IUs. I am half way through experimenting with the Fedora rpms to get them to use the reconciler as described, and I think it will work perfectly. The only caveat is that I had to backup the metadata files run the reconciler, check its return value and restore the files if there was a failure. This brings me to the second Item: it would be nice if the reconciler had a dry-run mode.

I don't know if we will be able to work on these items but I thought I would throw them into the mix :)

Cheers,
  Sami

Back to the top