Re: [p2-dev] Documentation: How to setup p2 to provision custom osgi platform

> 1. Can i represent each functionality set as a feature or a profile?

feature.  profiles are the complete, runnable install.

> 2. If feature was the way to go then what would be the way to create a feature out of existing osgi bundles using maven?

In Eclipse land you just make a set of features in the PDE editors and export/build them.  Tycho may help with the latter steps but I don't know what all they support currently.

> 3. We are interested in creating both console and UI for provisioning bundles on our target platform. Our preference would be command line admin functionality and then we would slowly move to UI based admin UI and management console.

Suggest you look at the p2 Admin UI and console commands as starting points. There are also many reusable UI pieces supplied by the p2 team.

At risk of sounding "salesman-like" there is a pretty reasonable discussion and example of this stuff in the OSGi and Equinox book (http://equinoxosgi.org).

Jeff

Back to the top