Re: [p2-dev] The future of Eclipse upgrades

At least in Galileo, I get a related troubling behavior.  I can't even
use the update manager in a Program Files install without needing to
horse around a bit; the list of upgrade sites is stored in the
configuration directory.  At install time the configuration was in
C:\Program Files\...\configuration.  At run time, since that's not
writable, the configuration is automatically placed in the user's
Windows home directory.  No upgrade sites are initially configured.

These are the types of bugs I'm talking about. I'm sure there are more :-(.  While this is upsetting, bugs can be fixed.  Since more people will be running in shared install modes now, I'm sure we'll hear more about these bugs.  Clearly testing / bug fixing shared installs is something we need to plan for in Indigo.  But I'm more worried that we might be designing ourselves into a corner.

> I'm not even sure how to become a super user on Windows.

IIRC, right click on Eclipse, Run as Administrator.

Yes, Remy mentioned this to me as well.  And maybe Windows users (developers)  know this. But the bigger issue comes up with RCP applications.  If I
1. Download an RCP app (or Eclipse)
2. Enable automatic updates
3. Run

Do we expect it to automatically update? or, do we expect users to run as admin on occasion?  We have also tossed around the idea of enabling automatic updates by default.  Does this change things?

I'm not a Windows user, so I really don't know the answer to these questions.  I just wanted to get the conversation started now so we don't get to Indigo SR1, discover that 60% of our users are on Windows 7 and that they are not getting our critical updates.

Doug, Daniel, thanks for commenting.

cheers,
ian

--