Re: [p2-dev] Compatibility question, 3.5 to 3.4

We will try to be careful to that as well.
Inactive hide details for Re: [p2-dev] Compatibility question, 3.5 to 3.4Re: [p2-dev] Compatibility question, 3.5 to 3.4

Re: [p2-dev] Compatibility question, 3.5 to 3.4

Francis Upton

to:

P2 developer discussions

09/08/2009 09:56 PM

Sent by:

p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Please respond to P2 developer discussions

It would be nice for p2 to be able to build the repositories for previous versions in much that same way that you can work with older target platforms in PDE.  Of course I understand the issues are different, but it's always nice to work with the most current version of the tooling to build stuff for older versions.

    That said, going forward because of improvements we would like to make in the p2 metadata (_expression_ of negation, or'ing, etc). It is unclear how long for this will be doable.
    At one point we had talked about having a version format for each IU, this maybe what we want to put in place.

    Re: [p2-dev] Compatibility question, 3.5 to 3.4

Re: [p2-dev] Compatibility question, 3.5 to 3.4

John Arthorne

to:

P2 developer discussions
09/08/2009 01:31 PM

Sent by:

p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Please respond to P2 developer discussions

    Hi Thomas,

    I think the answer is that it will work. The two changes in repository format between 3.4 and 3.5 that I know of are:

    - Switched to using URI instead of URL. However for forwards-compatiblity we are still writing the old "url" attribute in the metadata as well as the new "uri" attribute. So, old clients should still work with this change.

    - Support for omni-versions. If your metadata contains only "OSGi versions" then a 3.4 client will be able to read them. Of course if you wrote different version types out using 3.5 then a 3.4 client would fail to read them.

    John

    Thomas Hallgren <thomas@xxxxxxx>
    Sent by: p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

    09/04/2009 11:28 AM

    Please respond to
    cc
    Subject
    [p2-dev] Compatibility question, 3.5 to 3.4

    Hi,
    I'm doing repository aggregations using a 3.5.x based P2. New
    repositories are created and populated with meta-data and artifacts from
    other repositories. If I use IU's from Galileo and other 3.4 sites as
    input, and if I refrain from creating composite repositories, what are
    the chances that the resulting repository will work using a 3.4 based
    IDE? Will a newer P2 write things that cannot be understood by 3.4?

    If the answer is yes, I would be interested in creating some kind of
    backward compatibility layer, and would appreciate some help tracking
    down what needs to be dealt with.

    Regards,
    Thomas Hallgren