Re: [p2-dev] p2 Engine

This awesome. Thx for the update.

Inactive hide details for Scott Lewis ---04/13/2009 11:20:22 PM---Hi Pascal, In the scenario, there were two processes:Scott Lewis ---04/13/2009 11:20:22 PM---Hi Pascal, In the scenario, there were two processes:

Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

04/13/2009 11:20 PM

Re: [p2-dev] p2 Engine

Hi Pascal,

In the scenario, there were two processes:

Process A (agent) - which is *just* running a p2 engine (not all of p2,
but enough to run the engine)
Process B (admin) - which is running all of p2, and is able to do
planning, etc. etc

So in my use case B was doing the planning for process A, and then
sending the Operands to B so it could execute an IEngine.perform...to do
actual installs/uninstalls, etc on A.

Three things were incorrect when I sent this question:

1) The IProfile from A wasn't correct/accurate so when the planner on
process B ran, it was producing operands that were not quite right.
This has been fixed by dynamically retrieving/serializing A's IProfile,
and delivering it to B upon connection.

2) The serialization of the IUs resulting from B's run of the planner
were not properly including the IU fragments, and so the IEngine on B
wasn't doing the correct thing (this was the key issue)

3) The deserialized IUs (i.e. on A...sent from B) were not creating
ResolvedIUs as they should have (as we discussed at EclipseCon).

All three of these have been corrected, and we now have a functioning A
and B.  It's pretty cool really, as B is able to retrieve/receive A's
profile, figure out what needs to be installed (via planner), and then
send B operands to remotely install...and B then retrieves relevant
bundles, etc and installs/uninstalls them.

Scott