[p2-dev] Capability Questions

I have two questions about capabilities.

1. In IInstallableUnit the NAMESPACE_IU_ID says:
A capability namespace representing a particular InstallableUnit by id.
Each InstallableUnit automatically provides a capability in this namespace representing itself, ...

Where does this "automatically provided capability" get added? My IU doesn't seem to have it, but maybe I'm not creating them properly.

2. In InstallableUnit, why is addProvidedCapability protected? Is this not the intended way to add provided capabilities to an IU.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Ian

--
R. Ian Bull, PhD