Re: [orion-dev] Orion Scalability

Hi Michael,

To add to what Paul said, essentially we have not yet hit a memory or CPU choke point in real world usage yet. Our Solr index has hit a limit but that is based on workspace size, and Solr supports sharding of indexes - we just need to use it. The real world usage tends to be 99% basic file operations and Git operations are much less frequent. There is still at least a security issue of ensuring that we throttle Git operations to avoid the server crashing. We are actively making Orion support clustering - there are several use cases motivation this: instant fail over, zero downtime deployment of new builds, and eventually multiple active instances to support load.

John

From:        Paul Webster <pwebster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date:        07/23/2014 10:45 AM
Subject:        Re: [orion-dev] Orion Scalability
Sent by:        orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Michael,

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 7:47 AM, Ochmann, Michael <michael.ochmann@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Therefore my question: Do you have any experience how many cores and how much memory one should spend for an Orion instance with 1000 truly concurrent users? Or is that attempt futile and we should turn to cluster operation directly?

You might still be able to get away with throwing more memory and cores at Orion to scale up the number of concurrent users, I'm not sure what the choke points would be.

But the work we're doing now is looking at the cluster approach.  Put something in front of the Orion instances (like http://nginx.org/), split out the content and search indices so they can be shared, and run multiple servers against a common content and common search directory.

PW

--
Paul Webster
Hi floor.  Make me a sammich! - GIR