Re: [orion-dev] search API

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM, John Arthorne <John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The intent was to directly use the Solr HTTP syntax rather than invent our own:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrQuerySyntax
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CommonQueryParameters

I think we have slightly drifted from that over time, as we worked around various problems. Overall I like the idea of sticking with a well known API instead of trying to come up with a new one.  It's a good question though, and I'll add a note about it to our documentation. Maybe one thing we can do is document a particular subset of Solr API that we use because Solr itself is pluggable and very open-ended. Were you looking to create a new server implementation or just wanting to call our existing SearchServlet.

using a well known search API instead of inventing a new one surely makes sense.
We should document that and also document which subset of the Solr Queyr API is
supported by orion.server.

We are both interested in the API provided by the existing server implementation
and may also implement another server based on a non-Java runtime for some of
our scenarios. For the latter we were wondering if the new server should use the
same API as orion.server.

I should also mention, there is an API on the client side that isolates the rest of the client code from knowing anything specific about Solr/Lucene, and it would be possible to plugin a new search on the client side that uses a completely different HTTP API if desired.

this sounds good, could you give me an idea how this could be achieved ?
I guess you mean to create another implementation of orion.searchClient.Searcher [1] ?

--
Matthias

Back to the top