[orion-dev] Headless Orion ((and not for a Halloween costume))

Hello Everyone,

Is there a way to run Orion headless?

I'm attempting to use the Orion framework (authentication core, file clients, preferences, plugins etc..) as an alternative base framework for Maqetta (www.maqetta.org). I'd like an "either or" type of setup-- either use the Maqetta UI or the Orion UI both running on the Orion framework. This strategy allows Maqetta to slowly plug-in its features to the Orion UI and adopt Orions features into our UI.

Looking at the Orion index.html, I see plugin loading/startup behavior and extracted it into my own class (below). Unfortunately It appears that the orion/preference service drags in the Auth service, which drags in GlobalCommands which has a lot of DOM manipulation and UI associated with it. Is there an easier/alternative way to initiate the preferences and load plugins?

My current setup has both Orion and Maqetta hosted on the same OSGi/Jetty instance so there shouldn't be any cross domain issues.

Attempted Orion Init Code:

define(['dojo', 'orion/serviceregistry', 'orion/preferences', 'orion/pluginregistry'],

function(dojo, mServiceregistry, mPreferences, mPluginRegistry, mCommands) {
// initialize service registry and EAS services
var serviceRegistry = new mServiceregistry.ServiceRegistry();

// This is code to ensure the first visit to orion works
// we read settings and wait for the plugin registry to fully startup before continuing
var preferenceService = new mPreferences.PreferencesService(serviceRegistry, "/prefs/user");
var pluginRegistry;
preferenceService.getPreferences("/plugins").then(function() {
pluginRegistry = new mPluginRegistry.PluginRegistry(serviceRegistry);
dojo.addOnWindowUnload(function() {
pluginRegistry.shutdown();
});
return pluginRegistry.startup();
});
});

Thanks,
Brad Childs

IBM Software Group
Emerging Internet Technology / Browser Technology Center
Office: (512)-286-5681
Cell: (512)-569-5816

Back to the top