Re: [orbit-dev] Continue to require ATO CQs?

Thank you Roland and Matthias for the clarification. It is strange because I am using the Gerrit URL (ssh://smadani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:29418/orbit/orbit-recipes according to my git config file) and I got the impression that nothing else needs to be done to use Gerrit, and that “refs/for/master” seems like what would be the default anyway. I always use the Gerrit URL in other projects, just not the code review feature, hence the confusion. I’ll bear it in mind next time. Still, would be useful to make it explicit in the instructions. I’ll update README.md with a note about this.

From: Roland Grunberg
Sent: 17 April 2020 22:33
To: Sina Madani
Cc: Orbit Developer discussion
Subject: Re: Re: [orbit-dev] Continue to require ATO CQs?

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 3:51 PM Sina Madani <sinadoom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry about that. I have never used Gerrit before and I didn’t encounter any instructions on the Orbit website / FAQ / resources etc. regarding Gerrit, how to clone using Gerrit etc. What should I have done instead? If using Git (as we do with other projects – at least in the project I’m involved in, we don’t use Gerrit at all) isn’t the right way then it would be helpful to add some instructions to the relevant sources, unless Gerrit is common knowledge amongst all Eclipse committers and I’m the odd one out.

I was always under the impression that most projects used gerrit and that direct

pushes were disabled but it looks like that's still left up to each

project, as well

as using gerrit itself.

There's some very brief references to the clone URL at :

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Orbit/Adding_Bundles_to_Orbit#Setting_up_GIT_for_the_new_bundle

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Orbit/Adding_Bundles_To_Orbit_In_5_Minutes

but the main thing is to ensure you're able to log into git.eclipse.org/r/

so that you can use your username (under the gerrit settings) in

the clone URL. >From there, the process is the same as a regular

push except you are pushing to 'refs/for/master', which will push

your change(s) up for review.

The full guide is at https://wiki.eclipse.org/Gerrit . I would say using

gerrit can be a bit of a learning curve but not more so than pushing

changes for review on github.

Back to the top