Re: [orbit-dev] Question and Suggestion for a way out of Xerces dilemma?

Technically no, but we don't currently export packages with version numbers, so, not sure the packages provided by this xerces bundle would get picked up over any other providers.
That's part of the same issues ... what exactly should the version numbers of some packages be.

173587 2007-02-08 nor P3 david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx NEW bundles --- Improve Xerces constraints

Christian Damus <cdamus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/29/2007 09:20 AM

Please respond to
Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [orbit-dev] Question and Suggestion for a way out of        Xerces        dilemma?

Hi, David,

Will this be an issue for clients that use Import-Package instead of Require-Bundle (which I think is what we Orbiters recommend strongly that clients do with Orbit bundles)?

Christian

Christian W. Damus
Component Lead, Eclipse
OCL and EMF-QTV
IBM Rational Software

David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/29/07 01:33 AM

Please respond to
Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[orbit-dev] Question and Suggestion for a way out of Xerces        dilemma?

You may recall xerces, as distributed at Apache, consists of two jars, the implementation and an xml-apis.jar.
In the past, we (WTP) have always used these as one bundle.

When moved to Orbit, I split the two jars into two bundles.

The API one, though, has turned out to be 'controversial' if not down right incorrect. Because I named it "org.w3c.dom.
But, it also could be broken into three bundles, org.w3.com, javax.xml, and org.sax.xml.

So, here it is "RC2 time" and I have not had time to sort through all the issues involved in doing the correct split. In fact, just found a new
set of issues to sort though in the OSGi spec, where they have some specific recommendations on "migrating" JAXP parsers
to OSGi!

So, my fear is that if we leave "org.w3c.dom" and anyone depends on it (with 'require bundle') for something from "javax.xml", then they will be broken
in future releases if/when the interfaces are correctly split up, in bundles with proper names.

This seems risky to me, and as far as I know no one has a large dependancy on this org.w3c.dom bundle in orbit, except for a few cases which could
easily be fixed by replacing it with a dependancy on xerces (I'm fairly sure).

So, do others see this as a serious issue?

I'd suggest we take the current org.w3c.dom bundle and make it a fragment of the xerces implementation. Xerces would still re-export all the interfaces,
as it does now. Then anyone who needs anything from xerces (or those interfaces) would have to 'require bundle' xerces, instead of w3c.dom.

Then we'll consider/try again next release.

If you all in Orbit agree this is the right approach, then I will approach projects via cross-project list.

Sound ok?

I guess the alternative is just to warn everyone that if they use org.w3c.dom they will automatically be broken and have to change that next release ...
but, that would have to be a "coordinated change" so everyone knows when to make the switch. (And, no matter how much you warn people, they
will feel it's an API break later on).

Suggestions welcome.