Re: [orbit-dev] N-builds and orbit bundles from branches?

Jeff McAffer wrote:
In the Eclipse plugin development world Maven is not at all common. Update site yes. So if the crux of this whole discussion is that you want to revisit the initial decision to not have an update site, sure that is a fine topic to put on the agenda for the next conference call. Focusing on Maven etc perhaps is a distraction.
We really need something to support reusable/automatically downloadable artifacts. So, I think that Update Site is better then nothing.
 I am not insisting on Maven, but it could be a nice option.
>   You open up an update manager on Orbit update site and download
> required bundles. If I am not mistaken same process can be run from the
> command line too.

NO. This adds the bundles to your *current running IDE configuration* not your *target*. That is the problem. It is dumb I agree and if it were not the case then the initial discussions around having an update site for Orbit would have had a different outcome. Changing Update manager to do this differently is non-trivial since managing other configuration was not a design point. As I have been saying all along, any new provisioning work in Eclipse would need to allow for adding to that target (e.g., random configuration) rather than just the current running one. That work has not been done yet.
Well, then I guess that for command line you stuck with what you already have. But it seems like update site is still a good option for development time.
So in the end it seems that your usecases would be enabled if Orbit had an update site. Is that accurate?
I think so. At least it will be much better then manually downloading and unzipping those bundles.

 Thanks

 Eugene

Back to the top