Re: [openadx] rename OpenADx as "Eclipse Autonomous Driving"

+1 for the name.

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 2:57 PM Joe Speed via openadx <openadx@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Good suggestion! I think yes “Autonomous Mobility” if we combine openMobility and openADx now. Otherwise “Autonomous Driving"

We also need open source SVL Simulator to become an Eclipse project with Eclipse license. SVLSim is well integrated with the open source autonomy stack that most are converging on which is Open Robotics ROS 2 with Autoware Foundation autonomous driving packages (drive-by-wire, lidar localization, et al.) and Eclipse OpenADx ROS Middleware (Cyclone DDS w iceoryx and Zenoh V2X).

Best,
- Joe

On Nov 12, 2021, at 1:53 AM, Robert.Hilbrich@xxxxxx wrote:

Joe – I like your way of thinking. How about “Eclipse Autonomous Mobility”? This could pave the way for a possible merge of openMobility and openADx in the future?

From: openadx <openadx-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf OfJoe Speed via openadx
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2021 1:16 AM
To: openadx@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Joe Speed <joe.speed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [openadx] rename OpenADx as "Eclipse Autonomous Driving"

Hello, Per today's OpenADx SC call I propose renaming “OpenADx” to “Autonomous Driving”. What do you think?

IMHO it is better to name WGs for their function. When someone hears “Eclipse IoT”, “Eclipse Automotive”, “Eclipse Software-Defined-Vehicle” they have a notion of what those might be. Nobody I’ve meet has ever heard of “OpenADx” or can guess what it is. It becomes exhausting explaining it over and over again and trying to get companies to care.

“Eclipse Autonomous Driving WG” makes it clear how we fit vis-à-vis the other WGs and top level projects. OpenADx projects are used in the default reference autonomous driving stack for SOAFEE, Autoware, ROS 2 Galactic, Indy Autonomous challenge, USDOT CARMA, et al. So let’s give “OpenADx” a less obtuse name.

I think this will also help with membership, making it easier for people to justify it to their managers.

Joe Speed
ADLINK | Field CTO | Global Partners
Open Robotics ROS 2 TSC, Autoware TSC, OpenADx SC