Re: [nebula-dev] draw2d/gc cells?

Hi Dave

> 1) To not have any distinction between view/edit mode by default.  If
> you want that distinction, you can program it.  But you don't have to
> have it if you don't want it.  I've seen situations where if you click
> wrong, the focus goes to the table control behind the cell editor.  If
> you do away with cell editors, this no longer is an issue.

This capability unfortunately is very limited by the upper performance
limits in SWT and it's reached with 300-400 widgets. Limits are even
more prohibitive if the user wants to use compositetable in
simultaneousy present editorparts (or viewparts or whatever the
richclient uses). In consequence it is very useful for special editor
like your day-editor but not useable for classic table-widgets which
have to scale up to a large number of cells.
Investigating a bit in swing I saw that this limit must be prohibitive
in swing, too (and swing swing a lot better). They 'rubberstamp'
cell-controls to the table-canvas and do not use real controls for the
cells.

> 2) The event model allows you to implement a semantic where you
> validate and save data on row focus lost rather than on focus lost of
> each control.  This can be important in client-server situations to
> limit the amount of network traffic induced by interactive editing.

this is a good point! Although it only counts in clients without local
buffer and a large number of concurrent clients.

My investigations in swing showed be an interesting approach for my aim
to have compositeTable scale up to those classic use cases:
We could have the real controls in the prototype row only and show
'screen-shots' of them in the rows of the compoitetable. The
rubberstamps of the real controls would have to be updated on refresh.
Editing the cells would have the real controls positioned above the
rubberstamps. The user experience should be perfect as I expect the user
not to notice the switch.

What's your opinion on this stuff?

Greetings
André