[mtj-dev] Current situation with contribution of Oracle to MTJ

Hello,

sorry for absence of news from Oracle side for so long time, we was completely busy with ME8 release development. Let me share the current situation with changes that Oracle wants to contribute into MTJ project.

1. We have prepared the set of fixes for MTJ plugin that mostly relate to ME embedded platform support. 2. Unfortunately, these fixes do not cover following functionality and it is not feasible to contribute them until we prepare the complete solution: 1) ME8 Security Model. MEEP spec (JSR 361) in this area was stabilized just before NY and mostly relates to handling of new security permissions. 2) LIBlets support. MEEP spec in this area is stabilizing just now and support on ME Runtime/SDK side will be done by the mid of March. So, corresponding Eclipse support can be started not early than in end of March. Note, that LIBlets support requires the really huge development on MTJ side. 3) ME8 will not support some JDK8 features (e.g., "invokedynamic" and consequently Lamdas). So, we need to introduce a ME Compiler plugin that will provide some set of codes inspection/warnings for the user code in Eclipse. ME Compiler plugin requires JDK8 support that will be ready on Eclipse side in June in Luna release. So, we cannot provide this feature early than the end of June.

Without these 3 features we cannot release Eclipse support on ME SDK side and all these 3 feature require some serious development (probably 2-3 man-months in total).

Due to this reason and the quite big scope of development for ME8 release on our side it was decided to postpone Eclipse support to the next ME release. On other hand, the Eclipse support currently is the main driver for the next ME SDK release. So, it is expected that almost all resources of my team will be allocated for contribution of MTJ plugin. The work on the next ME SDK release (and contribution to MTJ) is expected to be started approximately in the end of April-beginning of May.

Alex.

Back to the top