Re: [mosquitto-dev] Bridge connection over Websockets

On Thu, Nov 17 2022, Abilio Marques <abiliojr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Martin,
>
> I am curious about your specific application. I was under the impression
> that mqtt over websockets exists mainly to be able to reach a broker
> "directly" from a web browser.

I am aware that Mosquitto supports MQTT clients connecting using WebSockets,
but I'm interested in creating a bridge connection between Mosquitto and
another MQTT broker using WebSocket over HTTPS.

> In the past I've heard of some people using WS to achieve higher connection
> success rate against cloud brokers, as firewalls are less likely to block
> port 443 (compared to 8883). But nowadays some brokers in the cloud seem to
> directly support MQTT over TLS on port 443. This guarantees the same
> success rate (port 443) without the need of an additional websocket layer.
> To use it, sometimes you have to set the variable bridge_alpn in
> mosquitto.conf.

It is a nice feature, but the Mosquitto instances in my particular case could
be deployed in corporate networks with strict policies, behind several layers
of network protections, HTTP/s proxies, deep packet inspections, etc. which
might kick or drop all non-HTTP/WebSocket connections from Mosquitto to remote
bridge instances.