Re: [mosquitto-dev] Throttling for outgoing messages from bridge

Roger Light <roger@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I've been working for Cedalo since before the 1.6 release. It was
> mentioned on the mailing list back then, and it comes up on Twitter
> now and then as well. I don't go around shouting about it though. The
> work involves directly developing mosquitto, developing MQTT
> applications for third parties, and developing MQTT applications for
> Cedalo - some of which are proprietary extras for mosquitto.

Thanks for clarifying.  I would say that you have been extraordinarily
successful in not shouting about it, but perhaps I've just failed to
notice.

> You may agree or disagree with this approach philosophically, but I
> can tell you that without the change in my circumstances there is a
> good chance that mosquitto would still be on version 1.5 now.

It's certainly great that you have been able to be sponsored to work on
mosquitto.

I have zero problems with corporate contributions to open source
projects or paying developers.

I am not entirely comfortable with open-core approaches; I don't
outright object but they can very easily become problematic.  In one
open-source project in an adjacent space, I heard from someone that
(more or less) a contribution to the open-source part was rejected
because it implemented a feature that the company wanted only in the
proprietary version.  In the case of mosquitto, I don't currently have
any concerns about a company with proprietary products improperly
influencing the open source project.

I was initially very surprised by the statement that Cedalo was the
'main company behind Mosquitto'.  Looking at git history, I would not
have figured this out; extracting authors and sort/uniq-c/sort-nr gets
me:

  2681 Author: Roger A. Light <roger@xxxxxxxxxx>
   202 Author: Roger Light <roger@xxxxxxxxxx>
    25 Author: Karl Palsson <karlp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
    24 Author: Abilio Marques <abiliojr@xxxxxxxxx>
    16 Author: Pierre Fersing <pierre.fersing@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     8 Author: Pierre Hallot <hallotpierre@xxxxxxxxx>
     8 Author: Lance Chen <cyen0312@xxxxxxxxx>
     6 Author: raspopov <raspopov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     6 Author: Karl Palsson <karlp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
     6 Author: Ian Johnson <ijohnson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     6 Author: Fredrik Fornwall <fredrik@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
     5 Author: Panagiotis Vasilikos <panagiotis.vasilikos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
     5 Author: Michael Heimpold <michael.heimpold@xxxxxxxx>

and there are only 2 commits with a cedalo.com address.  Looking at
mosquitto.org i do see a "sponsored by" statement and the logo; I must
have never really read that part, or perhaps not looked recently, as I
basically only deal with the list and git.

I used to be employed at a company that participated in open source, and
there the norm was that employees doing open-source work as part of
their jobs (filing bug reports, sending code contributions, etc.) would
do so using their work email addresses.  I realize this has become less
of a custom over time.  For the reverse, as a maintainer of an unrelated
open-source project, I am always bothered by people asking for help with
their company's issues from a gmail address.