[mosquitto-dev] Multiplexed MQTT

Hi All, and Roger especially.

One function that is implemented (by Nick O'Leary, as it happens) in one of the brokers in the RSMB repository is multiple MQTT sessions over one TCP connection. This was used for an MQTT-SN gateway of the transparent style. Transparent means that each MQTT-SN connection arriving at the gateway results in another MQTT connection, but using MQTT multiplexed over a single socket, resources are saved.

As I'm thinking about coding up an embedded MQTT-SN to MQTT gateway I thought again how useful this could be. So how about in Mosquitto? It's not in the MQTT standard, but that hasn't stopped us before, and the standard can be driven by what people find useful.

This sort of multiplexing could also be used in bridges, so that you could have an MQTT connection which hopped over multiple bridges before getting to its final destination. I haven't thought that one through though, but it sounds cool :-)

--
Ian Craggs
Paho Project Lead; Committer on Mosquitto

Back to the top