[microprofile-wg] Service Release require a Release Review

I saw a posting on the Google Group earlier today about a MicroProfile 4.0.1 release.

AFAICT, the "release" is nothing more than setting the scope of the component specifications in the pom.xml file. I defer to the wisdom of the MicroProfile Steering Committee to determine whether or not such a change rises to the level of a "service release", "bug fix", or clarification (I'm thinking that it does not). So, IMHO, nothing that I'm going to write below impacts this MicroProfile 4.0.1 release (again, I defer to the wisdom of the Steering Committee if they have a different opinion).

I will use this opportunity to ensure that the MicroProfile Steering Committee and community are aware that, per the Eclipse Foundation Specification Process, service releases require a release review (which includes a ballot from the Steering Committee).

The main difference, according to the specification process, between a major/minor release and a service release, is that a service release only requires the release review. A major/minor release also requires a plan review at the beginning of each development cycle, and--in the event that more than one year passes between the successful completion of a plan review and the release--a progress review.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Note that you can open and discuss issues against the process itself on the EFSP GitHub repository.

Wayne
--

Wayne Beaton

Director of Open Source Projects | Eclipse Foundation, Inc.

Back to the top