[microprofile-wg] BALLOT: Restructure MicroProfile into a specification project

Greetings MicroProfile Working Group Steering Committee.

You have requested that we restructure the existing Eclipse MicroProfile open source project into a specification project as defined by the Eclipse Foundation Specification Process (EFSP). For this, the EMO has initiated a restructuring review.

Note that, per the MicroProfile working group's charter, it is the steering committee that has assumed the role of specification committee defined in the EFSP, so I address this to you with a reminder for both you and the community that all Eclipse Foundation documentation and processes refer to you as a "specification committee" while you are engaged in this and other specification related process.

The purpose of a restructuring review is to change the nature of a project. While we are not strictly creating a new project, we are in a manner of thinking, creating a new specification project from an existing project. With this in mind, we are treating this as a creation review from the perspective of EFSP.

Per the process, this will be a seven day ballot, ending on October 27/2020 that requires a super-majority positive vote of the MicroProfile working group's steering committee members (note that there is no veto). Community input is welcome, but only votes cast by specification committee representatives will be counted.

With the successful completion of this review, the Eclipse MicroProfile project will become a specification project operating under the supervision of the MicroProfile working group. The project will remain under the Eclipse Technology Top Level Project and purview the Eclipse Technology PMC. I will connect with the Technology PMC to request their approval on this review.

With this change, the project will further adopt the branding of the working group and change its name from "Eclipse MicroProfile" to "MicroProfile".

The corresponding restructuring review is scheduled to conclude on October 28/2020.

Note that the Eclipse Foundation's records team is currently working with project committers to ensure that the agreements required to work on a specification project are in place. Upon completion of the restructuring review, all committers who do not have agreements in place at the time the project is converted into a specification project will be suspended pending receipt of the executed agreements. During this period of suspension, those committers will be listed as "historical"; they will be returned to active status when their required agreements are in place. My understanding is that these committers know who they are. If anybody has any questions, please send a note to emo@xxxxxxxxxxx.

Specification committee representatives, your vote is hereby requested. Please respond with pass:[+1] (positive), pass:[+0] (abstain), or pass:[-1] (reject).  Any feedback that you can provide to support your vote will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Wayne
--

Wayne Beaton

Director of Open Source Projects | Eclipse Foundation, Inc.

Join us at our virtual event: EclipseCon 2020 - October 20-22

Back to the top