RE: [mdt-papyrus.dev] Custom code and code generation

Hi Jerome,

As far as we are concerned, no heavy weight reasons have been given yet that justify the change of language. If you're not suggesting to re-rewrite GMF XPand templates, then we will have to deal with two different technologies for M2T purposes. It is true that some people may only need to generate code for their gmfgen extensions, but others also need to modify the behaviour of GMF which, logically implies, to know and understand the XPand templates. So learning XPand will kill two birds with one shot.

Regarding the fact that XPand is also in the incubation step, it's true, but it was born a couple of years ago (and GMF has been using it more and more) whereas MTL still "needs to be born". We still don't know the future of MTL but knowing that GMF relies on XPand is kind of a "guarantee" that the project will keep going for a while.

Of course I agree that using standards is a good idea, but only in equal conditions.

We're not against evolution, but after working with Velocity, Mofscript and Xpand, we would really suggest a thorough analysis before taking the decision. In our humble opinion, changing a language is not only a matter of how easy the language and the editor are but a general comparison between languages with all the advantages and disadvantages of each one (considering maturity, efficiency, easiness, framework, the features of the language itself, etc.).

Regards,
Gabriel.