[mdt-ocl.dev] Re: OCL Examples build

Hi

[The OCL Examples tests pass on Hudson; but not on my laptop; platform M6 CCE nightmare to investigate]

OCL Examples dependencies will be a recurring problem (imagine an OCL example that uses a QVTo transformation), so we might as well plan a solution.

For Helios, I think we can do without transactions; my distant recollection was that they helped unify Platform and EMF Command, CommandStack, OperationHistory so that Undo worked coherently; we can live with a little imperfection in an example editor.

Long term there are clearly many different layers across modeling projects that rationalize interdependencies

Platform
EMF
UML2
OCL, EMFt, EMFv core
QVTo etc
GMF, EMFq, EMFt, EMFv extras
EMF tools, OCL examples, UML2 tools, ...

EMF, UML2 have already recognised this by having separate EMF, UML2 tools.

[The lack of clear EMFt core(basic re-useable transactions)/EMFt extras(OCL query enhancements) partitioning does not affect this discussion.]

Clearly there should be an OCL tools that is built separately with more extensive dependencies than OCL core.

Dependency issues were overlooked when we considered an OCL Tools project last year.

Helios

Therefore subject to Release Reviews:

We avoid EMFt, EMFv dependency and bundle IMP Runtime in the OCL Examples Feature. This should impose no threat to the buckybuild.

After Helios

We partition OCL between:

Core (the minimum functionality required to allow parsing and evaluation of OCL expressions)
- i.e. just the ocl, ocl.ecore, ocl.uml and possibly ocl.examples.modelregistry plugins.

Tools (the rest - all the edit/editor/interpreter/ui functionality)

Then we have a choice

a) Create a new OCL Tools project (possibly Incubation)

b) Do a double OCL build (OCL Core at +1 and OCL Tools at ?+2)

[The OCL 1.4.0 experience demonstrated that two builds are possible; OCL Tools would have completely different names and so provide no conflict.]

I favour a) since the hassle of two projects is very obvious, whereas imperfect manual/automated orchestration of double builds may cause complex problems.

    Regards

        Ed Willink