Re: [mdt-ocl.dev] Stuff that OCL Developers Need To Know

Thanks, Adolfo, for your comments.

See some replies in-line, below.

Cheers,

Christian

On 19-Jan-09, at 12:00 PM, Adolfo Sánchez-Barbudo Herrera wrote:

Hi Christian,

Thank you very much for this helpful stuff. I have learnt several things I didn't know.

I have some questions/comments related to the info. I hope you can forgive my lack of knowledge about some areas ;P.

Always, unless of course you refuse to learn  :-P   Which, from experience, seems not to be the case.

- What's the difference between mdt hyph ocl hyph inbox at eclipse dot org and mdt hyph ocl dot dev at eclipse dot org  mailing lists ? I thought I had to use the second one.

The first one is a "fake" e-mail address in the Bugzilla system. It is the default assignee for incoming OCL bugs, and is therefore useful as an e-mail ID to watch as you happen to be watching my e-mail ID.

- I have also managed to run the LPG.exe in a Linux platform using Wine.

Ah,  Good tip.  I have added this to the Wiki

- I have some JDT preferences (I guess they come from applying OCL Code Formatting), which make me have some differences against some CVS OCL projects, Should  these preferences also stay in the CVS ?. The preferences are:
    org.eclipse.jdt.core.formatter.join_lines_in_comments=true
    org.eclipse.jdt.core.formatter.join_wrapped_lines=true

hmmm ... I don't know.  I find it odd that the formatting profile should have set these options.  I don't know what they are.  Perhaps you could raise a bug with patches for the prefs files in the OCL projects, and I can do a small experiment to verify that it matches the formatting that I get in my workbench?

- I didn't understand the sentece which you mentioned about JDT "Save Actions".

I have added a link in the Wiki to the JDT help reference page about the Save Actions preferences.  These are optional actions that the editor will apply to the text when the source file is saved.

- What is "pluralization of accessor methods is enabled " ?

The UML convention for property names is always to use singular nouns, even for properties that have multiplicity.  This is a UML2 codegen option that generates accessor method names in plural (English) form for multivalued attributes.

- In JUnit test section, I don't know what is "running headless" refers >.< ... I would like to have my head on safe :D

A JUnit launch config can select an Equinox application to run.  Tests of UI components typically run Eclipse platform's workbench application, whereas tests (such as OCL's) that don't need a UI typically run without any application (which is indicated as "headless" in the launch config).

- Do you know where I could find information about that "run-time workbench" ?. I'm not sure if there is a special tool or something for testing >.<

A run-time workbench is simply an instance of Eclipse that PDE configures by overlaying the plug-ins in your workspace (under development) on the plug-ins in your target.  It's the default flavour of the "Eclipse Application" type of launch configuration.  The Eclipse on-line help has more to say on the subject.

- Release Train build ?¿ O.o . . . I suppose that this is related to the Eclipse Release Tool, which I don't deeply know.... Anyway, I have to carefully read the link you provide about Modeling Project Releng link. My doubts will probably go off (or maybe new doubts may come up -.- ).

Well, the train build is mostly stuff for the project/component lead to worry about.  The Galileo release builds are a product build system that Rich Gronback has assembled, that pulls together content from the individual update sites of all projects participating in the common release.  It has nothing to do with the Eclipse Releng Tools "Release..." action, which simply tags CVS projects and updates the map file with the new tags.

That's all . . . Again thanks for your efforts to write this info.

Cheers,
Adolfo.

Christian W. Damus escribió:
Hi, OCL Team,

Now that the contributions to the OCL project are becoming more regular, I thought it was high time that I try to organize some information that will help contributors to fit in to the OCL development environment and the way the project operates.  To that end, I have drafted a wiki page:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/MDT/OCL/Dev/Setup

that I hope will answer most of your "how do we ..." questions and ensure that we are all on the same page, for a smooth experience in the sharing of the OCL code.

Most importantly, of course, it is hoped that this will help contributors to submit patches that are easy for committers to process.  :-P

Please, let me know what you think, and what can be improved.

Cheers,

Christian

--
Christian W. Damus
Senior Software Developer, Zeligsoft Inc.

<logo.jpg>
Adolfo Sánchez-Barbudo Herrera
adolfosbh(at)opencanarias(dot)com
C/Elías Ramos González, 4, ofc. 304