Re: [m2e-users] Where does m2e hide references to the Maven-archive?

'Project and External Dependencies' is a classpath container provided by Buildship, for Gradle projects. No Maven projects should have it. i.e. there should be no org.eclipse.buildship.core.gradleclasspathcontainer classpath entry. Long story short, this is not m2e misbehaving.
Does your project have a build.gradle file? how did you import it in Eclipse?