[m2e-users] Maven plugin in workspace, "could not find goal"

I have a project containing a Maven plugin I wrote and another project that uses it during the build.  It works fine when running Maven, but I get the following error  (genericized) in Eclipse:

"Could not find goal '<goalName>' in plugin <groupId>:<artifactId>:<version> among available goals help"