[m2e-users] m2e and proxy settings

Hello,
I have a couple of questions about proxy settings and m2e.

In an old mail [1]  I found that at some point, m2e used the eclipse proxy settings in some cases, and the proxy information in settings.xml in other cases.

In the m2e FAQ [2], it talks about using the proxy information in settings.xml, but the eclipse settings are not mentioned.

My questions are:

1. Does the latest m2e use both the Eclipse proxy settings and the proxy configuration specified in settings.xml?  Or only settings.xml?
2. If I'm behind a proxy, do I need to specify the proxy information in both settings.xml and eclipse in order to use m2e functions like updating the index of a repository, or creating a maven project based on an archetype from Maven central?

Thank you in advance.

[1] http://maven.40175.n5.nabble.com/proxy-definition-in-settings-xml-not-used-by-M2Eclipse-td137681.html
[2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/M2E_FAQ#How_to_Configure_Proxy_and_location_of_Maven_local_repository

Regards,