From: m2e-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:m2e-users-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of KARR, DAVID
Sent: Friday, December 23, 2011 9:06 AM
To: Maven Integration for Eclipse users mailing list
Subject: [m2e-users] New weird errors in pom.xml this morning, had to
restart Eclipse to fix it

This morning I noticed that my Maven projects are giving me weird
errors in my pom.xml file.  Two of them I hadn't changed recently, but
the other I worked on yesterday, and it was fine.  I didn't change
anything in the pom or the project config.

I'm using STS 2.8.1 (essentially Indigo), with m2e 1.0.100.20110804-
1717.

In my pom.xml, the Problems view lists the following 4 problems:
--------------
Line: 1; Description: null
Line: 11; Description: Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle
configuration: org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-
plugin:2.3.2:compile (execution: default-compile, phase: compile)
Line: 11; Description: Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle
configuration: org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-
plugin:2.3.2:testCompile (execution: default-testCompile, phase: test-
compile)
Line: 11; Description: Project configurator
"com.springsource.sts.ide.maven.core.springProjectConfigurator" is not
available. To enable full functionality, install the project
configurator and run Maven->Update Project Configuration.
--------------

The description for that first one really is "null".  That's what it
says in the Problems view.  Line 11 is just the first "plugin" element,
for the "maven-compiler-plugin".  There's nothing surprising here.  It
was fine yesterday, and the pom wasn't changed.  I have no idea what
"the project configurator" is, but I think it's likely I already have
it.

I've tried doing "Update Project Configuration", but it doesn't make
any difference.

I'm getting almost exactly the same errors on another unrelated Maven
project.  On that one I tried removing the maven nature and then re-
adding it.  No difference.

I also tried running the Maven build for these two projects, and they
both completed successfully.

I tried doing a "Project Clean".  No difference.

I tried removing the 4 error messages from the Problems view and doing
a "Project Clean".  The 4 errors reappeared.

Finally, I exited and restarted Eclipse.  This fixed the problem.
Everything's fine now.  However, exiting and restarting Eclipse is
something I avoid.  It takes perhaps 15-20 MINUTES to completely finish
restarting on my Centrino2 Dell laptop.
Curiously, after restarting again because I had to kill Eclipse because it seemed to be hung for several minutes after I removed a project from my Tomcat server, the 4 errors in the pom.xml appeared again before it finished all the startup tasks, but once it finished thrashing (validating, compiling, caching, et cetera), the errors in the pom went away.