Re: [m2e-users] Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration

I wish it was that simple.

First, "execute" was not the default. m2e had none less than four
different sets of maven goals it ran during project import, project
configuration update and workspace full and incremental builds. Some of
these were configured at workspace level, some in project/.settings. On
top of that there was project-level setting to "skip"
maven-compiler-plugin execution.

Second, "execute" _is_ the root cause of missing resources, endless
builds and memory leaks, so making it the default basically blocks all
other possibilities to improve.

Also, m2e 0.13 is much better at detecting incompatibilities and
reporting them. So when 0.12 was kinda-sorta-working-sometimes, 0.13
creates those big red obvious error markers. We could hide the error
markers by default and let the users _guess_ what's going on. I don't
think there are too many projects that worked well in 0.12 and don't
work in 0.13, so most likely hiding the errors will make users feel
better about m2e 0.13 when comparing it with 0.12. At the same time I
believe failing fast and obviously is the right thing to do.

--
Regards,
Igor