Re: [m2e-users] Missing enable nested modules item in 0.12

Yes, I'm really interested in some pointers. But I'm only a user of
Eclipse, I don't think that I have enough knowledge to start a general
discussion for the whole workbench. But after new years day, I will
update to 0.12 and do some postings to the dev list, when I get into
trouble while playing around with the lifecycle.

Many thanks,
Bernd

Am 22.12.2010 19:35, schrieb Igor Fedorenko:
> These are valid concerns, however you need to raise them on Eclipse
> platform dev or user lists. It is not possible to provide quality nested
> project support without proper workbench support. The hack we had in
> 0.10.x never worked for large enough number of projects and use cases to
> justify development and support overhead it was causing. It is unlikely
> to come back as m2e-core feature, however I believe it is feasible to
> provide the same functionality via external lifecycleMapping
> implementation. I'll be happy to provide pointers on m2e-dev list, if
> you are interested.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Igor
>

> On 10-12-20 10:36 AM, Bernd Koecke wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> by trying version 0.12 I've found out that the context menu of a project
>> doesn't contain the "Enable nested modules" item anymore. By reading
>> some postings, it looks like it wouldn't come back. This was a nice
>> feature for my work and without it, it is a little bit painful to work
>> without it. But may be you have some hints for me. As an example, I have
>> two scenarios:
>>
>> We are using JBossAS and one of my jobs is to solve issues in our
>> operational environment. I have the whole source of JBossAS and some
>> used libs in my IDE to debug it. Newer JBoss versions are maven multi
>> module projects with a huge number of submodules. To make all of them
>> first level projects, makes the IDE look really confusing. And in the
>> past it was really easy to add the source to a run-configuration. You
>> only had to add the main project and all submodules were added, too.
>> Sometimes I have to make compatibility checks. So I have two versions of
>> one lib in my IDE. One version is used by some client run-configuration
>> and one by the running JBossAS. So adding all projects in workspace to
>> the source lookup path wouldn't work.
>>
>> Another scenario are our own projects. We are building EARs or service
>> archives (SARs) for JBossAS. These are all multi module projects, a
>> number of modules for the JARs and one for the packaging. The submodules
>> can't live on their own. Only the submodule for the EAR or SAR produces
>> anything deployable. So having each submodule as a top level project
>> makes it possible to work on it like on an independent project which it
>> isn't.
>>
>>  From my current point of view the only solution is to use working sets
>> to tidy up my IDE. But I have to do this by hand. With the above
>> feature, I can checkout a project, enable nested modules and let the
>> plugin update the project configuration. And one project has one
>> toplevel folder.
>>
>> I asked around here if I am the only one with these issues and there are
>> a number of developers which like the nested module feature.
>>
>> Does somebody have a hint for me? How can I work as comfortable with
> [...]

Dipl.-Inform. Bernd Koecke
Expert Software Architecture

1&1 Internet AG - Software Infrastructure
Ernst-Frey-Straße 9 · DE-76135 Karlsruhe
Fon: +49 721 91374-4583
bernd.koecke@xxxxxxxx

Amtsgericht Montabaur / HRB 6484
Vorstaende: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich,
Thomas Gottschlich, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn,
Hans-Henning Kettler, Dr. Oliver Mauss, Jan Oetjen