Re: [lsp4e-dev] Move to Java 17 ?
  • From: Ahmed Hussain <ahmed@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 16:25:20 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=cocotec.io; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=cocotec.io; dkim=pass header.d=cocotec.io; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=piDHeAgMgjUCU0BMhs/mbvZQyQsIlpvg/u+3ccJeLr4=; b=n62azcPH3ulOt7wbzgrFfCYuXEa2WO2H9zd3NJjX6Wuo9gMbIOgMjUsjuJBfOxG/Tad+rUVomhE3ZdxEyVhHrVs12Fbns1VszmDKts8xCJhIdGM/vL96xF3/47amtMGdELbSchTxwiRRRDH0wtoeAsVlp7eQSJQRXfd0N1BvXlwUzr6JT01nOiAEzx+8QHl+nJYYEVhUZGbep29wtJW/h50+TGJEvNGv4GC+4bma7opRVGFw5S9iM0vuLblo3sEL9q2GVia0CHsBhDJ9fDs+fJiCyh2L0OskcdOrmB0w82ef4b2ZULw+HVedC4hNivyNFXp6VttNBhgXFe+bgF5nGg==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=UTi6Zrr+GOgYOKMlPeNHCDaIrAm3UJLCJ84NL0j86TR3a2LNvAacWJsmurhUHmWiFjPGAYtjUeJUF3tRHNcyEFYLSZImZw47AZQAmNBRRcvyznhw5sK3baompxoZNhwQO3m9R765wEZjBCfiT9BC2Iytlp6NQ97h7xN/q6bfjd07JjcoX8gvkzviU1xc61RuqNJuvD+kLu65vI8hKV3iYBis4ZzKUqvyf1YOMOKbghEEKByRtXcPkGO3iqWOD0cC/0ygUHgOW7/6u6EOeSqXL+3aTfXDTzhTeyvCnsuqaZ2w6N6hhuAmvpnOroLWwQZql4kV2NCQI/xT5tVzY7M/pg==

Hi Mickael (and other LSP4e-ers),

Can I ask how a 0.20.x 11-compatible branch would work in practice?

As I understand it:

1. LSP4e is a singleton plugin since it hooks into Eclipse extension points.
2. This means you can’t have more than one version active in Eclipse at a time.
3. New versions of Eclipse will ship with the latest released lsp4e
4. The older code stream will thus be for users of older eclipse wishing to upgrade LSP4e but not wanting to take the latest eclipse.

Is that about right? I’m also slightly hazy on exactly how it is decided, for plugins that ship with Eclipse, which versions will go into the latest Eclipse and how any dependency conflicts are to be resolved, and indeed which version of Java Eclipse should require. I’m sure there are policy documents or a release plan somewhere but I never seem to have found clear guidance from poking around on the Eclipse website.

FWIW we have our own version of LSP4e (built with a different name and extension point namespace to avoid clashing) but are trying to work towards using released LSP4e directly. Unfortunately we need to support a customer who has great difficulty in upgrading Eclipse due to some custom legacy plugins they need to keep working, so I have been building lsp4e with a few custom patches to keep it Java 8 compatible. There wasn’t actually that much code in LSP4e that required patching but the Java 17 changes, although mostly syntactic sugar, are a lot more extensive.

Cheers,

Ahmed