Re: [kura-dev] Java 9 modules and OSGi compatibility

Kanchana,

Good question.  Java 9 is a big thing for the entire Eclipse community not just the Kura since the Eclipse platform work on Equinox, our OSGi runtime. The plan for Java 9 is that OSGi bundles, including Eclipse Platform and Kura will just work on Java 9. Oracle has confirmed a good compatibility story for OSGi.

Your next question might be, will Eclipse Platform or maybe Kura will migrate away from OSGi to use Java 9 modules. I think it is far too early to envision any migration. As you point out, Java 9 modules are missing some key features. My prediction is that OSGi will have a long healthy life on Java 9 and beyond.

I hope that answers your questions.

Ian