Re: [jta-dev] Handling java.lang.Error within the CDI interceptor

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the response. The keypoint here is that by Java spec the Error is considered as an unchecked exception. That way the Synchronization talks about how to handle runtime and errors.

Java Language Specification, version 11, chapter 11.1.1:

The unchecked exception classes are the run-time exception classes and the error classes.

The checked exception classes are all exception classes other than the unchecked exception classes. That is, the checked exception classes are Throwable and all its subclasses other than RuntimeException and its subclasses and Error and its subclasses.

With that the java.lang.Error is an unchecked exception while the Throwable is a checked exception. At the same time, JLS also says a little bit opposite which makes handling an exception implementing the Throwable a bit gray area.

Exception is the superclass of all the exceptions from which ordinary programs may wish to recover.

But I'm asking about Error in particular. I would like to suggest aligning the wording to change all occurrences of RuntimeException to the term "unchecked exception" in the Jakarta Transactions specification, for consistency and for the meaning.

I will prepare a PR with such a change and you can review and consider if it's ok.

Thank you!

Ondra