Re: [jta-dev] EE9 Blocker? Java EE 7 (JTA 1.1 -> JTA 1.2) seems to have lost some information, do we need/want to do something for EE9?

On Oct 2, 2020, at 5:25 AM, Tom Jenkinson <tom.jenkinson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

When I look at JTA 1.1 specification [1] I can see that it included a chapter describing the API in depth (sort of like API documentation). When I look at JTA 1.2 specification I see that that chapter is not present. I assume this was intended to be migrated to the Javadocs for that release.

However, in the change log for Jakarta Transactions 2.0 I can see [2]:

"
An unchecked
exception thrown by a registered `Synchronization` object causes the
transaction to be aborted. That is, upon encountering an unchecked
exception thrown by a registered synchronization object, the
transaction manager must mark the transaction for rollback.
"

From what I can see, that information is not in Jakarta Transactions 2.0 Javadocs or elsewhere in the current Jakarta Transactions 2.0 (spec, Javadocs or TCK). I also don't see it on the Java EE 7 Javadocs on the Oracle site either [3], but it was present in Java EE 6 within the JTA 1.1 specification text.

Some questions:

1.a. As it is mentioned in the change log (albeit, only there) do you think that particular behaviour can still be considered defined for Jakarta Transactions 2.0?
   1.b. If not, what do you think we should do?
2.a. Do you think we need to try to work out if there was any other Transactions information that didn't move to Java EE 7 (and 8 and then Jakarta 8 and now 9) and correct it?
   2.b. If so, must that be done for EE 9?

Paul Parkinson was the spec lead at the time.   Perhaps he remembers the reasoning.

Paul any thoughts on the above?

Best
Lance

Lance Andersen| Principal Member of Technical Staff | +1.781.442.2037
Oracle Java Engineering
1 Network Drive
Burlington, MA 01803
Lance.Andersen@xxxxxxxxxx