Re: [jgit-dev] Introduction of new dependency (Apache Commons Codec or Guava) into JGit?

JGit is a common transitive dependency, and I am grateful that it has made an effort to maintain semver. Guava does not maintain semver and ships breaking changes frequently. I hope that JGit will either shade Guava, or else only use dependencies which also maintain semver.

Ned Twigg
Lead Software Engineer, DiffPlug LLC
540-336-8043 (cell)
888-513-6870 (fax)
447 Sutter St Ste 405
, San Francisco, CA 94108

On Thu, Apr 6, 2023 at 4:50 PM Jonathan Nieder via jgit-dev <jgit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Tan wrote:

> I'm looking into implementing changed-path bloom filters in JGit. In
> order for compatibility with the same feature in C Git, I need an
> implementation of the murmur3 hash. Apache Commons Codec and Guava
> both have an implementation, but neither of them are currently used by
> JGit. For what it's worth, JGit already uses another Apache Commons
> library (Compress, not Codec).
>
> What do people think about adding one of these libraries as a
> dependency? This does mean that downstream projects will need to
> include the library when creating their packages, if they are not
> already using it. From a brief survey, EGit uses neither, while Gerrit
> uses both.

I would _love_ for JGit to start using Guava. It's been used to good effect in Gerrit and makes many things clearer and easier to maintain.

Thanks,
Jonathan