Re: [jgit-dev] Discouraged access warnings since storage implementations were moved to internal packages

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Matthias Sohn <matthias.sohn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Since https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/11273/ was submitted jgit suffers from
> 181 discouraged access warnings caused by types no longer accessible
> since they were moved to internal packages.
>
> The affected bundles are
> org.eclipse.jgit.ant.test
> org.eclipse.jgit.http.server
> org.eclipse.jgit.http.test
> org.eclipse.jgit.junit.http
> org.eclipse.jgit.junit
> org.eclipse.jgit.pgm
>
> some of these bundles are also used by EGit.
> Not sure what's the best way to fix this problem.
> Should we extend the number of x-friends ?

x-friends within org.eclipse.jgit is OK.

As for EGit, we should try to avoid EGit from talking to the internal packages.

If that isn't possible, we can friend EGit in the short-term but
long-term JGit needs to either republish the API as a non-internal, or
needs to wrap it as something we can commit to long-term. I used a
pretty big hammer when I moved things to internal, but I moved a lot
of what I consider "low-level details" that applications shouldn't
need to know about. I may have moved a little too much, but these
warnings are a hint towards that.

FWIW Gerrit had only ~5 references. Most of them were to Gerrit
abusing LockFile for its own pointless reasons. So you can build a
reasonable application on top of JGit without touching the newly
internal APIs.

Back to the top