Re: [jgit-dev] Consuming Maven artifacts at Eclipse

2012/2/23 <Nicolas.Werlein@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi everyone,

we (project âStardustâ) are right now in the process of setting up our build process in the Eclipse environment and are facing crucial problems concerning the planned consumption of Maven artifacts â and you seem to be developers of a project which is an Eclipse project based on Maven. Therefore Iâd like to ask you for help.

To my understanding Eclipse is currently setting up a Maven repository that contains all artifacts from project âOrbitâ so that they can be retrieved from there since using Âthe Maven Central repository is out of the question according to Wayne Beaton (âSorry, but obtaining dependencies for distributable Eclipse content from Maven central is a no-no.â, http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cbi-dev/msg00091.html). Browsing through the open âDash | Mavenâ bugs revealed that there is a discussion about changing the Maven coordinates of the artifacts that should be published to the Eclipse Maven repository âOrbitâ (e.g. from âcommons-logging:commons-logging:1.1.1â to âorg.apache.commons:org.apache.commons.logging:1.1.1â) â which means that an incompatible naming scheme will be introduced that prevents one from using the âOrbitâ repository in addition to another Maven repository. I agree that the coordinates must be adjusted since the artifacts in âOrbitâ are not identical (artifacts in âOrbitâ are signed, for example) to the ones in Maven Central â but that should be done such that Maven is still able to identify related artifacts in order to be able to do conflict detection and resolution. Hence, I filed bug #371475 since itâs vital for us and our customers that weâre able to consume artifacts from âOrbitâ as well as other Maven repositories (please see the bug description for details).

You seem to use the common Maven coordinates in your project as well (e.g. âcom.jcraft:jschâ instead of the Orbit coordinates âcom.jcraft.jsch:com.jcraft.jschâ). Thatâs why the following questions come to my mind:

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Donât you retrieve your Maven artifacts from âOrbitâ?

at the momentÂ
[1] JGit maven reactor: http://git.eclipse.org/c/jgit/jgit.git/tree/pom.xml
[2] JGit tycho reactor:Âhttp://git.eclipse.org/c/jgit/jgit.git/tree/org.eclipse.jgit.packaging/pom.xml
   EGit tycho reactor:Âhttp://git.eclipse.org/c/egit/egit.git/tree/pom.xml
[3] p2 repository:
  Âcontinuous integration builds:Â
  Âhttps://hudson.eclipse.org/hudson/job/egit/ws/org.eclipse.egit-updatesite/target/site/
  Ârelease: http://download.eclipse.org/egit/updates
[4] maven repository:
  Âcontinuous integration builds:Â
  Âhttps://hudson.eclipse.org/hudson/job/jgit/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/m2/repository/
  Ârelease: http://download.eclipse.org/jgit/maven

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Are you planning to move to âOrbitâ?

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Do you have your own Maven repository where you get your artifacts from?

By the way, if you think the planned naming scheme doesnât make sense, Iâd really appreciate your comments on the bug mentioned above.

Thanks in advance,

Nico

Nico Werlein â Software Architect IPP â Global Business Services and Technology â SunGard â Solmsstr. 18, 60486 Frankfurt am Main, Deutschland
Tel +49 69 70768 -Â515 â Mobil +49 176 1111 0226ÂâÂnicolas.werlein@xxxxxxxxxxx â www.sungard.com/infinity

Beschreibung: Ions_FINAL_380w

Join SunGard's customers, partners and industry experts at www.sungard.com/ten to discuss how the need for more Transparency, Efficiency and Networks is changing our industry and to register for a city day event near you.
VIENNA HOUSTON FRANKFURT BEIJING
HONG KONG NEW YORK LONDON SEOUL ZURICH MUMBAI JOHANNESBURG DUBAI SAO PAULO

CONFIDENTIALITY: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

SunGard Systeme GmbH * Registered: Frankfurt am Main, Handelsregister Frankfurt HRB 56839 * GeschÃftsfÃhrer: Harold Finders, Christian U. Haas, Thorsten Heissel, Richard J. Obetz, Victoria E. Silbey