Re: [jgit-dev] Duplicated changes in Gerrit

Matthias Sohn skrev 2011-12-06 15.56:
2011/12/6 Tomasz Zarna <tzarna@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:tzarna@xxxxxxxxx>>

    Hi,

    I've just noticed http://egit.eclipse.org/r/#change,4727 which looks
    to me like a dupe of http://egit.eclipse.org/r/#change,4718. It's not
    the first change I need to abandon, because a committer has created a
    similar change some time later and merged it [1][2]. Is this part of
    the process? It's starting be really frustrating. I'm fine to give
    away the change to someone else, but I'm getting tired of looking for
    the dupes.

no, this shouldn't be part of the process, also it's not in our interest
to frustrate nice contributors by creating dupes, I think there is enough
work around for everybody who wants to help bringing the project forward.
I think this is caused by unfortunate coincidence and a long list of
changes pending in review.

We made these changes close-in-time, which may be the reason I didn't notice
your change. I did it for only for testing http://egit.eclipse.org/r/#change,4726 ,
and then it felt natural to push it, forgetting that you already had pushed
a similar change.

I abandoned that change now and pushed it with a fix and the attribution to you
if that's ok and targeted it for stable-1.2.

For simple changed I don't think we can guarantee this won't happen again. We
do need to get the change list shorter.

-- robin

Back to the top