Re: [jgit-dev] manifest first build requires maven3?

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Shawn O. Pearce <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This actually makes me want to switch to maven-bundle-plugin[2],
because at least then our Maven repository is still usuable as a
Maven repository...

My general stance on this is OK for 0.6.0 as Tycho is still rough around the edges. I think when Maven3 is officially released, we should consider moving to Tycho. It would be ideal if we could have a maven project setup that would make this easy to switch if we did. If this is our intention, I think I'm OK with this change simply to have us a build that works and something we can ship soon (noone replied to my 0.6.0 release email ;p)

We also need to find a way to produce a p2 repo for some of our consumers as I know projects like Buckminster. However, we can leave this off the table until someone asks for it. As long as EGit can consume what is produced we should be fine.

In terms of generating MANIFEST.MF's versus hand crafting them. I've been tooling OSGi for a long time from open source to product consumers. My experience has been that the generators fall short. They either make assumptions about how things should be generated (e.g., uses clauses) or are just missing some context information. There are also things like versions which are difficult to generate properly and depend on a policy. In the end, you find yourself tweaking a template file that instructs the generator to do certain things. By then, you might as well craft the MANIFEST.MF by hand and do it properly.

--
Cheers,

Chris Aniszczyk
http://aniszczyk.org